Sunday, May 29, 2011

Word for the Week: Collywobbles

Collywobbles. I heard that word for the first time in my entire life just a couple of weeks ago. According to merriam-webster.com, it means a bellyache. The freedictionary.com is a bit more prolific saying it means an upset stomach, acute diarrhea, or an intense feeling of nervousness.

Zack said it sounded like it should mean mismatched furniture. I have to agree. It sounds much more like a description of a messed up room than it does an upset stomach.

I can’t imagine I will ever use the word “collywobbles” in a sentence. Not for real, anyway. But I like saying it. Yep, it definitely goes on the list of fun words. Collywobbles.

Wikipedia lists “collywobbles” under British slang. So, maybe it’s one of those words the Brits use in everyday conversations that I find so oddly charming. “Goodness, mate, I do believe our bubble and squeak supper gave me collywobbles.”

No comments:

Post a Comment